Wednesday, February 15, 2012

9. To understand how Christ and his Heavenly Father, being two men, yet are one, I prefer the direct teachings of the Bible to the negotiated conclusion of a council of theologians three hundred years after his resurrection.

A.  I believe that Christ and His Father are one in the way described by Christ himself—in the same way that we may be one with them:
“Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.” (John 17:11 emphasis added)
“Neither pray I for these alone [the apostles], but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us….” (John 17:20-21)
“And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one;” (John 17:22-23)
B. I believe that Christ and His Father are one because they know each other totally:
“and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.” (Luke 10:22)
C. I believe that Christ and His Father are one because, although Christ has a will separate from His Father, Christ has completely submitted his will to His Father:
“And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” (Luke 22:41-42)
“For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.” (John 6:38)
“and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do.” (John 14:1)
“…the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.” (John 14:24)
“If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.” (John 10:37)
“But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.” (John 5:36)
“Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.” (John 8:28-29)
“Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.” (John 5:19)
D. I believe that Christ and His Father are one because the Father has shared with Christ all that the Father has:
“All things that the Father hath are mine….” (John 16:15)
“All things are delivered to me of my Father….” (Luke 10:22)
“All that the Father giveth me shall come to me….” (John 6:37)
“For it pleased the Father that in him [Christ] should all fulness dwell….” (Colossians 1:19)
“The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.” (John 3:35)
“And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.” (John 17:10)
I believe that we, with our limited, mortal minds, cannot begin to comprehend the extent to which Jesus Christ's thoughts, will and purpose are one with God the Father. I believe that understanding this is the key to understanding how God the Father and Jesus Christ are indeed "one God" and how there is only "one God."

I believe in Jesus Christ and in God the Father. I am a Christian. I am a Mormon.

Back to Introduction.

Back to Previous Entry.

To Next Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate respectful and thoughtful comments!